With the sheer number of similar businesses already in existence online, it can be hard for you to stand out from the crowd. Chances are, every tactic you plan to use has been used by another company. Nevertheless, this should not keep you from trying. There are ingenious methods you can use to ace it in online marketing. Using social media to boost your search engine ranking is one of the unconventional tactics you can use.
Recent studies have shown that search engines, more so Google, are relying on social media activities to list and rank pages that are relevant to keyword searches. This gives online marketers an opportunity to boost their search engine raking with social media inputs. The point you need to note is that, regardless of the social media platform you are using, it is the attention the content gets that is used as a signal to determine its relevance to a search.
Another amazing point you should note is that you don’t have to go to school to learn how to incorporate social media in your SEO efforts. There are innumerable online resources you can use to master the strategy. This post focuses on a few strategies you should consider implementing — most of which can be done on your own.
How does social media really help?
As aforementioned, social media impacts your search engine ranking by sending relevance signals. This means that the more likes, and shares you get, the more relevant your content will be and the better the ranking you will receive. Today, SEO and social media marketing are entwined. Google is placing more emphasis on the Author Rank factor, which is based on the ranking and rating of the content creator.
Here are some of the ways you can use the popularity of social media to boost SEO.
- You can use Facebook and Foursquare to allow your visitors to check in from your business. At the end of the day, Google perceives this as a signal for how popular your business is among users. This will boost your search engine ranking.
- Google+ is a product of Google and will give you better results than other social media sites. Therefore, more activity on your profile will impact your search listings on Google. Encourage your followers to like and comment on your posts. This will improve your search rankings.
- More reviews on your social networks will show that your content is popular and relevant. This, in turn, will boost your rankings on Google. However, for you to get the best SEO results from this, you have to make sure that you get your content to the right audience. The authority and influence of the people who like or review your content matters.
- Making your content available across several social networks will also impact SEO. Being available on various platforms shows that you have more influence. This will determine how Google values and ends up ranking your content. Here, the following points are considered:
- The number of combined mentions or followers your business has on Twitter;
- How often your Facebook page content gets like or shared;
- How authoritative the people who follow, mention or share your content are;
- Is the trend of your followers constant, increasing or dropping?
Social marketing and SEO are closely entwined and mutually synergistic. But how exactly do you ensure that you use the best strategies to boost your rankings? So far, this post has discussed the crucial points you have to remember to ensure you get the best ranking. But which methods should you use to boost your results?
Connect with social media influencers
As you saw earlier, the type of people who like and share your posts have a big part to play in determining your ranking. If they don’t have much influence, your likes and shares will not be as impactful. Therefore, to make sure social media works in your favor, you need to link up with social media influencers.
One way of doing this is to embed authoritative links within your content. Being referenced in other content as a voice of authority will also help. You should also not forget to encourage your followers to share your content. The more shares you get, the more authoritative you will be in the eyes of Google.
Link from content to your social media profiles
Leading social media sites like Twitter and Facebook enjoy a high authority because of the great amount of engagement they get. You can tap into this by making sure that you link all your posts to your profile. This helps you capitalize on the authority of the site, which will lead to better SEO results.
Don’t buy followers
It is easy to be tempted to buy followers. This will not benefit you much in social media marketing, however. To get better results, you have to attract genuine followers. You need followers who will engage with your content and posts; users who will keep coming back to your page for updates. Google can now distinguish genuine followers from the fake ones.
Build brand awareness with more interactions
To attract followers and build more brand awareness, you have to engage your audience. When you post something, make sure you are available to respond to the comments you receive. You should also participate in the debates that you spark. In addition to that, you have to make sure that you add posts regularly. A dormant profile will be abandoned.
These points will help you boost SEO with social media. The important thing you need to do is ensure you attract a larger following and always keep your audience engaged with informative and entertaining content. You must also respond to the comments your followers leave. Simply put, more engagement on social media leads to better search engine ranking.
Lalit Sharma is a SEO consultant who runs a SEO house called Ranking By SEO. He is specialized in link building and other SEO related activities. You can also find him on Twitter, Google+ and his personal blog.
The post How to Combine SEO and Social Media to Boost Your Authority appeared first on SiteProNews.